A problem which can be more common than you think
It may seem like a minor issue, but items falling out of pockets can cause significant damage to anilox rollers. Even seemingly innocuous objects like pens, screws, or even loose change can scratch or dent the delicate surface of anilox rollers
Damage or scored anilox rollers will affect the ink transfer and ultimately your print quality. In severe cases, these items can get lodged between the anilox roller and the plate cylinder. This can cause catastrophic damage that requires expensive repairs or replacement.
As an expensive and crucial component of the flexographic print process, anilox rollers have a vital function. Transferring ink to the print plate, it is essential the delicate cells are maintained in top condition.
Prevention is the best policy
To prevent damage to anilox rollers, it is essential to implement preventive measures. Here are some practical steps that can be taken:
- Enforce a strict “no pockets” policy for print operators. This means that operators should wear overalls or clothing without pockets, or they should use pocket-free aprons.
- Provide designated storage areas for personal belongings. Providing operators with lockers or designated storage areas for their belongings, will avoid them needing to have items in pockets on the manufacturing floor and printing press area.
- Regularly inspect anilox rollers for any signs of damage. This includes checking for scratches, dents, or foreign objects, to identify any issues early. To reduce any possible damage that could lead to print quality issues.
- Train print operators on correct handling and care of anilox rollers. This includes avoiding contact with sharp or hard objects, storage and using appropriate cleaning techniques and cleaning solutions.
Damage to anilox rollers can have significant financial implications. The cost of replacing or restoring contaminated or damaged anilox roller can be substantial. Downtime caused by a damaged anilox roller can disrupt your production for weeks and lead to lost revenue, moreover, a damaged anilox roller can produce subpar prints, affecting customer satisfaction and your brand reputation.
By implementing simple preventive measures, you can safeguard your anilox rollers and avoid costly repairs, production downtime, and print quality issues. Remember, anilox rollers are a valuable investment, and it is essential to protect them from damage, to gain consistent high-quality print.
In addition to the preventive measures mentioned above, protecting anilox rollers at all times is vital:
- Use protective covers for anilox rollers when not in use.
- Handle anilox rollers with care, avoiding lifting or moving them by hand.
- Store anilox rollers in a clean and dry environment.
- Follow appropriate cleaning and maintenance procedures.
By taking these precautions, your flexographic print process can extend the life of your anilox rollers and ensure anilox rollers and surrounding components are kept in good condition to support consistent, high-quality print.
Print Tech Solutions offers comprehensive care and maintenance packages that not only ensure consistent high-quality print but also empower your print operators. With the correct training, your print operators will become better equipped in how to monitor the condition of anilox rollers and action to take to reduce and prevent print defects. Our comprehensive training programs will help to achieve these skills.
If you are suffering from print issues or would benefit from additional resources to support you maintain your anilox rollers in top condition, contact our team now.
T: 0161 366 6286 | E: email@example.com | Contact Us